Saturday 24 March 2012

Stair Designs


Rising | Darkness

 Above is my double page spread on my chosen design for Ai WeiWei's staircase inspired by two of the three words selected, Rising and Darkness. On the left hand side I attempted a front view and reasoning for the design, this includes: brighter features heading towards the workspace, a narrow top and wide bottom symbolising narrowmindedness of society and openmindedness of Ai WeiWei, a consistent riser for functionality and a changing length of stair with wall like a ribbon unwinding. On the right hand side is a side view of the riser and the stell plate used to counterlever the stairs alternatively to give this ribbon-like effect. Another more detailed front view is given with a few details on mood features such as lighting. The entire staircase will be made of steel as it needs to be stable for it to work.


 Machine | Existing

This is my double page spread on the design I chose for Stelarc's staricase inspired by two of my chosen words, Machine and Existing. On the left there is a top and side view at what I hoped the tread itself would look like. Being inspired by Stelarc's "Walking Head" meant this was always going to be a different design! I decided on a wide spiral staircase for Stelarc with no rails or ballistrades of the size of some of his artwork. As indicated on the right hand page with the stairs themselves I decided that five different materials would be used with every four of 20 risers being a different material from basic and stone age to futuristic towards the peak of the staircase, ie. Stone - Carbon Fibre as an example. There are numerous notes about this on the page and a diagram of how the staircase will be supported as well as mood settings such as lighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment